What to do:
- Tornado Watch means that conditions are favorable for tornadoes to form. Be alert to weather conditions and announcements.
- Tornado Warning means that a tornado has been sighted or radar indicates rotation in the clouds.
- The National Weather Service will activate the NWS Warning System upon confirmation of a tornado.
- When possible, the College will also activate the Campus Emergency Notification System. This system includes text messaging, email and loudspeaker announcements.
- If you can get indoors:
- Move quickly to interior ground floor or basement rooms.
- Do not use elevators.
- Stay away from windows.
- If a tornado strikes, help avoid telephone overloads. Only make calls in an emergency situation.
- If you can’t get indoors:
- Parked motor vehicles are unsafe. Do not lock yourself inside one.
- Lie flat in a ditch or low spot.
- If you are caught on flat ground in the path of a tornado, always move at right angles to its path.