Gas Leak

What to do:

  • Pay attention to odor.  A rotten-egg smell could indicate a natural gas leak in a building or from an underground line.
  • Do not activate fire alarms, light switches, electrical equipment or anything else that could cause a spark.
  • Call the University Police immediately by dialing 911 or 607-753-2111 to report the situation.
  • Calmly provide all pertinent information, including:
    • Your name, location, and contact information
    • Location(s) of odors in the building
    • A description of the odor (light/moderate/strong; getting worse/getting better; etc.)
    • Symptoms, if any, that may be associated with the gas, such as light-headedness, nausea, headache, etc.
    • Known or suspected sources of the odor (i.e., laboratory valves, hot-water heaters, etc.)
  • Clear the area immediately if instructed to do so. Based on your information provided, the University Police will decide whether to evacuate an area and dispatch responders.
  • Once outside, move away from any apparent source. Try to get upwind of the leak so it blows away from you.
  • If you have knowledge that may assist in evaluating the source of the leak, meet emergency responders as they arrive on-site.
  • Do not return to the building until instructed by emergency personnel.

For additional information contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office at 607-753-2508 or visit their Web page.